Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Royalty Among the Masses!

The day before the twins birthday party was a mad jumble of activity, loud noises, and seemingly life-altering decisions. I spent the day out with the twins, which in and of itself is an exercise in patience on a good day. You just cannot expect two preschool age children to be buckled in and out of their boosters to traipse around store after store all afternoon without some resistance.

All in all they were great, only really testing the limits in the cake decoration store. I think I may have said, "Hands to ourselves, please" in that [you will rue the day I first saw your father if you don't remove your hand] tone of voice well over thirty times in the thirty minutes we were there. You know the tone, the one where it comes out all sweet and sing-songy, but is tainted with a menace only a Mother can render! but I have to give them credit, they always pulled their hand away and never actually tried to take anything from the shelves. They only wanted to touch each and every thing within arms reach!

After picking up Syd and Chad I had to get the house ready and dinner on and the following days outfits set out( we had my great-grandmother's funeral to go to before the party) and put together the party favor bags and get everyone showered and pick up the cakes. I fit in an appearance at the tea party being thrown in the twins room, complete with plastic cookies and chicken legs and peas. It was lovely, and so I left for the store a half hour later in a great mood, nothing brightens the day like pretend tea with pretend sugar :)

I picked up the cakes at Von's with what I thought were my sunglasses on my head, chatting with the lady at the bakery about Payton's passion for giraffes and Brookie's preoccupation with princesses. I then meandered through the aisles, happy for a few minutes of solitude, perusing the frozen foods and the cheeses. I picked out three kinds of ice cream next to a lovely mother and her two teenagers, and then stood in line at the checkout behind a father and son, with a young couple behind me in line. I exchanged pleasantries with the woman behind the checkout, and then went out and got into the car to go home. I tell you all of that to tell you this;
My cheek itched terribly as I put on my seat belt, and so I leaned over to look into the rear view mirror to check it out, and discovered that what I thought were my sunglasses was actually a PLASTIC SILVER TIARA!, complete with huge pink plastic stones, which had been bestowed upon me during the tea party!!

The thing that gets me the most, other than my dorky obliviousness, is that no one said a thing!! Not the lady at the bakery, who talked to me for five minutes at least! Nor the woman at the checkout, who I should point out never made eye contact with me, and I can see why!! So either they all thought I was some crazy person it would be unwise to upset, or their professionalism is such that they were afraid to embarrass me. TOO LATE! I went and did that all by myself! :) Or, maybe they were fooled by the plastic stones and thought I was a princess worthy of their respect and admiration!!............lol!

What I hope is that some tired soul was having a bad day, and the sight of a grown woman wearing a tiara while buying princess cakes and acting as if that were not a bit weird gave them a laugh and brightened their day! Hope it brightens yours :)

1 comment:

  1. Tara, you made my day with a loud boisterous laugh after reading that and having a stressful long day at work. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete