Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Update, and It's a Twin Thing!

Today Payton was as sick as before, only she switched from vomiting to having a high fever and sleeping literally all day. We have seen the doctor, and at this point are just trying to make her as comfortable as possible until it runs its course. She can drink today, so my dehydration fears have been put to rest!(at least something has, Goodness knows I haven't the past two days!)

I have kept Brooklyn and Sydney away from Payton rather successfully so far, but not without effort, and it has shown me another interesting thing about twins. Though they are fraternal and two different little people, they identify themselves as a unit, and as a unit do not function properly when separated. This afternoon after Brookie had lunch she was following me around the house like a lost puppy, so I told her to go outside and play.
"I can't go outside Momma", she says to me "you have to have two kids to play outside".
"How about playing with Ponyville then?", I ask.
"No, you have to have two for that too."
"OK, then lets put a movie on for you".
"No mom, you need two for that too, I can't do anything without Payton, I need her!" she cries, and then covers her face with her arm Sarah Bernhard style and leans into my leg. I picked her up and tried telling her about germs and fevers, but she just fake coughed and claimed to be ravaged with sickness and asked if she could go to her sister. It broke my heart to tell her no, but I did let her wave from the doorway!

Tonight I was putting Payton into a cool bath, and she cried for Brooklyn the whole time while just leaning there motionless. I am ashamed to say I caved, and let Brookie get into the bath, warning them not to touch each other. Payton perked right up at the sight of her sister, and they talked and giggled while I washed them. Payton's fever broke while they were playing, and she went to bed cool and happy, something cool rags and Pedialyte Popsicles and Tylenol and Ibuprofen couldn't accomplish. I am just saying..........

You know, Payton started to get better in the hospital the minute they let me touch her and once we let the two of them touch and smell each other they got released from the NICU, and neither one can sleep well if the other isn't close enough to touch even now. Maybe they need that when they are sick too. How lucky to be made with a built in best friend! I am always learning from these two precious ones, and so grateful for the opportunity! :)

P.S. Sydney has totally rocked and helped me pick up the slack these last two days.....without even having to be asked! She is the best kid, I tell you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment