Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bowls, Backseats and Super Bugs

Today my littlest one woke me up at 4:30 a.m. by vomiting last nights dinner onto the floor next to my bed. Poor little baby made it just far enough to share it with me! I didn't have the heart to point out to her the screamingly obvious difference in distance between her bed and the toilet and her bed and my bed, but she is young and cute so I forgave and held my tongue! Now let's cross our fingers and pray Sydney and Brooklyn don't follow, since we are going to San Francisco by train on Saturday. Can you imagine a sick child on a moving train? Do you even want to?

As most of you know we take Chad to work in the mornings, and so we had to strap the poor thing into the car with a bowl and a towel and head out at ten to six. She used the bowl the whole trip there, and then on the way back fell into a fitful sleep. I was gazing at her in the rear view mirror, admiring her sweet face, when the bowl goes tumbling from her lap and splashes it's lovely contents all over the floor of the car! Since I was driving I could do nothing but lament the recently departed cleanliness of the carpet and roll down the windows. (SIGH) If only I hadn't decided to clean and vacuum the car out yesterday!! Such is the way of life with me though, and there is no use bemoaning my ill-fated and short-lived love affair with my clean car, I do have three kids and a pretty lackadaisical attitude when it comes to bringing food and toys and such aboard! :)

Now Brooklyn and Payton call the stuff that spews forth from themselves when they throw up their "sick". So I was holding Payton while she was utilizing the bowl, and Brooklyn is standing next to me straining to see into the bowl.
"OOH, 'ellow(yellow) sick!" she squeals,
"Payton, you have 'ellow sick!"
"Is it corn sick? Is it cheese sick? No, it's corn sick, you have corn sick!" all of this commentary in high volume as poor Payton is dry heaving and I am trying not to laugh. You cannot under any circumstances laugh while a child is vomiting you see, it is in very poor taste. Oh, Brooklyn my dear, where do you come up with this stuff? You are full of mystery!(and a fair amount of bull)

I am happy to say Payton is feeling much better right now, and she has kept liquid down for an hour now, praise God. I am slathering on the hand sanitizer(on much more than my hands) and spraying the Lysol and praying it was just something she ate. My nephew Tyler would cringe at all of the antibacterial products I am spreading about my home right now, as we speak helping to create more of the super bugs that will eventually get us all. I will sleep soundly tonight in spite of that fact, knowing his generation will surely fix it all! ;) I promise to go straight back to my vinegar and baking soda cleaning products right after the trip!

2 comments:

  1. You're right... their generation should fix it all. They owe us that much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, that story was so sad for me. I could just picture it happening. I felt so sorry for Peyton. I like Brooklyn's 'ellow too LOL

    ReplyDelete