Friday, March 13, 2009

Bean Burning 101

Tonight we had fajitas for dinner, and I tell you that to tell you this: I burned some beans. Have you ever burned beans? Don't, that's all I have to say to you. Don't. Chad is really into Mexican food, and so over the years I have tried to make certain dishes from scratch so that they would taste close to what he orders in the restaurant. I have finally gotten the rice to where it is pretty much the same as restaurant rice, and so Chad wanted to try making homemade refried beans.
He picked out the beans, and then today when he got home he soaked them for a few hours, and then it was my turn to try to turn them into something delicious. Well, I started too late, and the beans were still cooking in the liquid when everything else was ready, so I used canned beans and we sat down to eat. Only, I forgot about the beans boiling on the stove, and after dinner Chad and I got to talking on the couch. Payton comes into the room and gets this hilarious look on her face, kind of scrunched up and disgusted looking, and she asks, " Mommy what stinks?". I looked up and smelled, and then cried out, "the beans!" and almost sent her flying as I bolted into the kitchen. Calling them beans at this point is almost a lie, because what was under the lid of the pot was more like burning poo poo. It was this gross lump of black and brown lumps, all of the liquid was gone and I am pretty sure the pot has seen it's last supper. Poor pot, it didn't ask to be left on the stove, and now it's cooking days have been cut so tragically short. So all of the girls got a laugh at my expense, and Chad very diplomatically stated that maybe he should be in charge of the beans next time while I did everything else, or else canned beans would be just fine. The Mexican food night dinner duties doled out, we are left to face this weird burned bean fart smell that I can't get rid of. Maybe I should fry some bacon, because that might just cover it up, what lingers like the smell of bacon? I mean food wise, because we all have that someone special in our family that can clear a house after a trip to the bathroom! :) I did however earn the delightful new nickname "beautiful bean burner", bestowed upon me by my ever clever husband! My eyes are burning as I write this, it can't really be good to inhale burned beans. So the lesson in today's story is a watched pot might never boil, but an unsupervised pot will burn the beans!!

No comments:

Post a Comment