Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Nothing Dignified About THIS Society Member! :(~

I woke up this morning with a burning desire to rearrange something. It is usually furniture, but Chad has forbidden me from doing that without him for now, and like a good wife I am trying to grant him his wish even if it is done with deep regret and a whole lot of heavy sighing. So I got Sydney off to school and Ashton is his bouncer and set off in search of something cluttered and neglected. I found many, many places that fit that description, but my kitchen "junk drawers"(yes, that's plural) won the makeover!
I spent the next three hours gutting and refilling the drawers, redirecting their purpose and finding a happy place for everything. I had let the twins out into the backyard to play, and they had been out there for the first two hours with nothing but squeals and make believe coming in through the back windows. They skipped inside both holding a bouquet of beautiful purple flowers......that smell kind of like a skunk that enjoyed a boat load of garlic right before it died! I don't know if many of you are familiar with Society Garlic, but it stinks. I cannot imagine anything so stinky being accepted into civilized plant society, let alone any other society you might think of. I would pull it out, but it smells so bad I can't get up the nerve to touch it. The scent lingers even after a bath, and clothes with the scent upon them must either be thrown right into the wash on hot, or quarantined in the garage until washing can be accomplished.
I am trying to paint a mental scent picture, am I achieving my goal? If you can imagine the scent, imagine my dilemma when these two beautiful girls come traipsing in holding handfuls of the offending blossoms. They were yelling, "Mommy, we picked flowers for you!", and Brookie is yelling "get a vase!", Payton is insisting that I smell them, and both are carrying the foulness into the house. I smiled(or grimaced) and thanked them and took the flowers, trying to touch them with as little of my hand as possible. I got out a vase and filled it with water and then spun a tale of how some flowers need to be out in the fresh air to last a long time. I convinced them that the vase should sit out on the patio table, for them to enjoy each time they played, and they soaked up the lie like the little sponges they are. Mommy is not only magical and super strong, she is also all-knowing!
I cannot get the smell of that plant out of my house, and am worried my hand scrubbing didn't do the job. Now it is 6:30 and I have developed a headache and a touch of nausea. I think it is half real and half in my head, but I am starting to smell it on myself, and am seriously considering taking another shower. Do you think stench can actually get into the folds of your brain? The thought, though absurd, seems sane enough at the moment, this is how badly affected I am by this smell. Sad.
If this story has a moral, I think it should be that a plant with an ironic name should not planted without a disclaimer!

* on a side note: I did not plant this offending flora, it was here when we moved in. :)

1 comment: