Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Fantastic Fashion and Mud Pastries!

Anytime the sun is out the girls follow me around all morning, causing all sorts of opportunities for me to trip and break my neck, asking if they can go outside. Today was one of those days, so I got them dressed right after breakfast and released them into the wild(backyard). Brooklyn doesn't really like mud, so she will usually swing and sing and yell at Payton to get out of her way. Payton on the other hand just LOVES mud, and she makes me lots of very interesting mud pastries, every one with a warning not to really eat it. Well, the roles were reversed today(they love to make a liar out of me), and so I watched as Brooklyn made mud castles(apparently she is not going to bake with her mud, the girl moved right to architecture) and Payton walked around the grass in my high heels and one of these gigantic purses my Mom gives them. Payton calls them "curses" which I think is quite fitting and so am in no hurry to correct. Brooklyn kept demanding that Payton join her in the dirt, and Payton just ignored her and strutted around, muttering to herself how beautiful she was in her new shoes. Brooklyn can be charming when she wants to be, but this day she has apparently chosen to be loud and forceful in her persuasion. She kept yelling to Payton, "Come play with the dirt!", over and over and with escalating ferocity. Payton continued to ignore her, digging those heels deep into the grass and then yanking them out with each step, singing, "Hallelujah, I'm a rock star"(she seems to enjoy mixing her worship music with her Hannah Montana!) Now Payton had done this very thing last week, but today she had the delightful addition of Sydney's training bra and a pair of too-tight pink cotton shorts! I promise(in case my mother is reading this) that I put regular-sized shorts and a matching T-shirt on the child after breakfast this morning, but the twins frequently throughout the day override my fashion choices with unique combinations of their own. I allow this because there are only so many ways a three year old can express herself, and I won't let them dress themselves when we are actually going to be leaving the house. Needless to say, many colorful and bizarre outfits ensue from this freedom! So, back to Brooklyn yelling from her dirt housing tract. She finally gets up and stomps over to Payton and stands in the way of Payton's continuous circle and reaches for the purse. "Come play with dirt!" she demands, and to my complete surprise Payton actually puts the "curse" down and kicks off the heels(hitting Brooklyn in the leg with one which they both giggled at) and followed her over to the soft dirt to bake along side her very dominant and usually successful sister. For the past hour I have been treated to the beautiful sound of the two of them giggling and talking and sometimes full out belly laughing at the things they are creating. Right now I glanced out to see them chasing a butterfly across the yard. Isn't motherhood lovely?!

No comments:

Post a Comment