Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Marginally Maternal

I watch my cousins 9 wk old Monday thru Thursday, and the twins have been good about making sure he has his pacifier and that his blanket is tucked in tight in his car seat. I have taken this as a great thing regarding Payton, because she isn't as nurturing as Syd and Brookie, which is fine, but it's still nice to see growth. Well, today I was holding the baby and singing a silly song, and at the end I would lean him towards Brooklyn and she would kiss the top of his head and giggle. Cute right? Well Payton walks in, and so at the end of the song I lean the baby towards her sweet face and Brookie squeals, "kiss his head!". Payton backs up quickly and yells, "EW! he throws up from his head!" and runs away. So much for growth!! I had no idea spit up had such a lingering effect on her. She wouldn't come near me again until after he left, and then she inspected my shirt for spit up before she would agree to climb into my lap. The girl has no problem expressing herself, that's for sure.

I have to tell you about my sweet Sydney and her conscience. Everyday when she climbs into the car after school I ask her how her day went. Most days she says fine and then launches into a frenzied monologue about what she had for lunch and what she did for recess, etc. If anything at all happened(and I mean anything even slightly negative) she will shake her head and look into her lap. Then that always follows with " Mom, I just had to tell you, it was pressing on my heart so hard....." and then the offending behavior. This happens even if it was something like she got caught doodling on her work paper when she should have been doing math. Not a criminal offense. Today she got into the car and answered with the normal "Good". She stared out the window as I told her about something funny the twins did, and all of the sudden she bursts into tears. She tells me, "God is pushing on my heart Mommy, and I just have to tell you, I can't take it anymore!" I brace for something bad like study hall or formal warning, and the dear child tells me the teacher caught her passing a note for one friend to another, and she said her name in the front of the class when she told everyone not to pass notes!! I love this kid! Now lets just hope this penchant for honesty carries through until high school, and we are golden!

No comments:

Post a Comment